“Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!” Psalms 27:7
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Deadly attack on Christian compound in KENYA[i]
Compass Direct News Service (CDNS) reports that on November 5th suspected Islamic extremists with Somalia’s al Shabaab militia threw a grenade into the home of the church guard of an East Africa Pentecostal Church (EAPC) congregation outside Garissa, Kenya. An 8-year-old girl, the youngest daughter of church elder, serving as the church guard, and another member of the church, were killed. Another three were severely injured. The pastor of the Church was also threatened the day after the attack. Garissa is the provincial headquarters of Kenya’s North Eastern Province, which is predominantly Muslim. According to CDNS, Muslims restrict churches in Garissa in various ways: Christians are not allowed to conduct prayers, sing or use musical instruments in rented homes owned by Muslims; no teaching of Christian Religious Education in schools is allowed, only Islamic Religious Knowledge is taught.
* Pray for God’s comfort in the family of the killed Christians.
* Pray for healing of the injured ones.
* Pray for courage and protection over Christians from EAPC and in all Garissa.
Coptic Christian student murdered by his classmates in EGYPT[ii]
The Voice of the Martyrs Canada (VOM) reports that on October 16th in Mallawi, Minya province, Egypt, seventeen-year-old Ayman Nabil Labib, a Coptic Christian, was murdered following a classroom altercation. Egyptian media reported the incident as non-sectarian however his parents reported that the boy was murdered ‘in cold blood because he refused to take off his crucifix as ordered by his Muslim teacher’. Two Muslim students were detained in connection with the murder and further investigation is claimed to be on the way. The grave concern however according to VOM is that local officials may be "hiding" the evidence and trying to influence witnesses, claiming that the attack took place as a result of friction between students.
* Pray for the grieving family of Ayman Nabil Labib.
* Pray for God’s protection over Coptic Christians in Egypt.
* Pray for just and speedy development of the investigation of this concrete case.
[i] Source: Compass Direct News Service, available at: http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/kenya/article_122847.html
ü Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, http://www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/ .