• In Bramunigam area of Kandhamala District tension started on 24th Dec 2007 , with erection of an arch made by the local Christian in the eve of Christmas at Bramunigaon village of Kandhamala District. Both side resorted to brick batting and ultimately bullets were fired from country gun from other side as reported by our contact person from the locality.
• On 25th Dec 2007 attacks were made on the Catholic Convent at Bramunigam and is destroyed by bombs.
• World vision office at Daringbadi is completely destroyed by fire.
• Ladapanga Church in Daringbadi and Irpiguda Church in Balliguda pastorate union (CNI) are burnt.
• Balliguda town CNI Church is damaged by the fundamentalist group.
• On 25th Dec 2007 morning some people started objecting church service at a NMS church at Puri. They threw Chappal’s, shoes etc inside the church. However due intervention of local gentlemen the situation was controlled.
• On 25th Dec 2007 evening a petrol bomb was kept inside the premises of the Oriya Baptist Church ( CNI) Berhampur. However the police immediately came to the site and removed the material. The situation now at Berhampur is normal.
• Bishop Samson Das of Cuttack Diocese have contacted the DG Police and other state administration to give protection to the churches and the Christian community. He has also appealed through local TV to the people to maintain harmony.
• Curfew has been imposed at Daringbadi, Dasingbadi, Bramunigaon, Balliguda and G. Udaygiri. Last night many people spent the night in the jungle in Balliguda area and Catholic sisters of Daringbadi took shelter with the families at Greenbadi CNI Church.
• Now the fundamentalist have targeted G.Udayagiri area of Kandhamala District. Last night they held the meeting at Kalinga 7 KM from G.Udayagiri and threatened the near by churches and also threatened to demolish the Diocesan office.
• The Bishop of Phulbani Diocese have informed this matter to District Collector and S. P over the phone but they have not yet provided any kind of security .It is reported that every thing is going on in front of the police. Thousands of Christians are watching over Churches in G.Udayagiri area since last night. 26th Dec 2007 is going to be very crucial day as anticipated by the local Christians.
• The Bishop of Phulbani Diocese is not staying in Bishop’s house since 24th evening as he is getting regular threats. Please prayer for the Christians in Orissa in particular for the District of Phulbani, Kandhamal, Ganjam and Puri.
Please write or fax to the below mentioned addresses to express your concern:
HON'BLE PRESIDENT OF INDIA
SMT. PRATIBHA DEVISINGH PATIL
President of India
New Delhi - 110 004
Fax : +91-011-23017290/ 011-23017824
Dr. Manmohan Singh
Prime Minister of India
Room No 152, South Block,
New Delhi - 110 001
Ph: +91-011-23012312/ 011-23013149/ 011-23019545
Shri Navin Patnaik
Chief Minister of Orissa
Naveen Nivas, Aerodrome Road,
Distt. Khurda, Pin - 751 001 (Orissa)
E-mail [email protected]
Office Phone 0674-2531100/2535100/2531500
Office Fax: 0674-2400100
Rev. Dr. Richard Howell
Evangelical Fellowship of India
New Delhi, India
Evangelical Fellowship of India (established 1951) is a charter member of World Evangelical Alliance, an accredited NGO with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.