* ALGERIA (Update): When the previously postponed court case of Rachid Mohammed Seghir and Jammal Dahmani, two Algerian Christian converts, took place on Wednesday, they were sentenced for 'distributing documents that aimed at weakening the faith of Muslims'. Their lawyer has said, 'It's very likely we will appeal.' Christians in Algeria have suffered increased persecution since the 2006 law restricting the practice of non-Muslim religions has beenenforced.
CONVERTS CONVICTED IN ALGERIA FOR SPREADING CHRISTIAN FAITH
The Associated Press | 2 July, 2008
* JORDAN: Two sides to the Geert Wilder saga
In the Netherlands '... Geert Wilders will not be prosecuted for inciting hatred of Muslims with his film denouncing the Quran'. Associated Press reports that Dutch prosecutors came to the conclusion that Wilders' statements 'were made in the context of a debate in society'.
Whilst Reuters reports, 'A Jordanian prosecutor on Tuesday charged Dutch politician Geert Wilders with blasphemy and contempt of Muslims for making an anti-Koran film and ordered him to stand trial in the kingdom.' The Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) labelled Wilders' extreme presentation of Islam as blasphemous and criticised Dutch prosecutors for claiming Wilders had a right to free speech.
DUTCH ANTI-ISLAM POLITICIAN WON'T BE CHARGED
Associated Press | 30 June 2008
JORDAN CHARGES DUTCH POLITICIAN WITH BLASPHEMY
Reuters | 1 July 2008
* NEPAL: A Roman Catholic Priest, Johnson Moyalan (60), was killed this week at the Don Bosco mission in Sirsia, Nepal. A pamphlet was left at the scene saying the Nepal Defence Army was responsible, a 'group that wants Hinduism restored as the state religion'. Also, the residence was extensively damaged by an explosion. The primary school where Moyalan was principal had been receiving extortion calls.
MEN SHOOT AND KILL SALESIAN PRIEST IN HIS RESIDENCE IN NEPAL
Catholic News Service | 1 July 2008
* PHILIPPINES: GMA News is reporting that 'soldiers have recovered the body of Josefino Estaniel, a pastor of the Seventh Day Adventist Church'. Estaniel was abducted in May by Communist New People's Army (NPA) rebels and was tortured before being executed and buried. The NPA accused Estaniel of aiding soldiers resisting the rebel insurgency.
REDS EXECUTE CHRISTIAN MINISTER IN DAVAO CITY - AFP
GMA News | 2 July 2008
* UNITED STATES: Sameh Khouzam is a Coptic Christian who fears torture for refusing to convert to Islam if he is returned to Egypt after he was 'convicted in absentia of killing a woman in 1998'. Khouzam's attorneys claim he is nnocent and the charges are false.
APPEALS COURT REVIEWING EGYPTIAN DEPORTATION CASE
Lebanon Daily News | Accessed 2 July 2008
World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) Religious Liberty Commission (RLC) has selected this digest of significant articles as a resource for the informed concern, prayers, support and advocacy of the Christian Church on behalf of its sisters and brothers who are suffering for their faith in Christ.
Contact email: < [email protected] >
PLEASE NOTE: All URL links were active at the time this email was issued but may have since been removed by the respective owners. Whilst the RLC considers the items included are credible, the RLC has not necessarily verified them. Therefore anybody quoting an item should be satisfied about its accuracy as well as attribute its original source to fulfill copyright law.