NOTES TO EDITORS:
Signatories to the 28 Too Many petition:
1. Steve Clifford, Evangelical Alliance UK
2. Fred Drummond, Evangelical Alliance Scotland
3. Elfed Godding, Evangelical Alliance Wales
4. Peter Lynas, Evangelical Alliance NI
5. Yemi Adedeji, One People Commission (Black and Minority Ethnic churches)
6. Kate Coleman, Next Leadership
7. Ruth Gilson, Girls' Brigade
8. Peter Grant, Restored
9. Ruth Valerio, Arocha
10. Tracy Cotterell, London Institute for Contemporary Christianity (LICC)
11. Carl Beech, Christian Vision for Men (CVM)
12. David Wilkinson, St John's Durham
13. Lyndon Bowring, CARE
14. Manoj Raithatha, South Asian Forum
15. Wendy Beech-Ward, Compassion
16. Ram Gidoomal, South Asian Concern
17. Paul Woolley, Bible Society
18. Rachel Gardner, Romance Academy
19. Steve Uppal, All Nations Christian Centre, Wolverhampton
20. John Glass, Elim Pentecostal Church
21. Bishop Wilton Powell, Church of God of Prophecy
22. Michael Puffett, Jubilee Church Maidstone
23. Dave Richards, St Paul's &St George's Church, Edinburgh
24. Paul Wilson, development worker, Methodist Evangelicals Together
25. Steve Holmes, Individual: Theologian
26. Derek Tidball, Individual: Theologian
27. Gavin Shuker MP, Individual: Labour Party MP
We are the largest and oldest body representing the UK's two million evangelical Christians. For more than 165 years, we have been bringing Christians together and helping them listen to, and be heard by, the government, media and society. We're here to connect people for a shared mission, whether it's celebrating the Bible, making a difference in our communities or lobbying the government for a better society. From Skye to Southampton, from Coleraine to Cardiff, we work across 79 denominations, more than 3,500 churches, 600 organisations and thousands of individual members. And we're not just uniting Christians within the UK –we are a founding member of the World Evangelical Alliance, a global network of more than 600 million evangelical Christians. For more information, go to www.eauk.org.
Association of Evangelicals in Africa
Formed in 1966 to promote evangelical unity, fellowship and Christian witness in Africa, the Association of Evangelicals in Africa has grown into a continental family of over 100 million evangelicals comprising 36 National Evangelical Fellowships that are made up of numerous local churches. There are 34 Associate Members who consist of Para-Church organizations, and 11 Special Members representing local Churches in countries where there are no National Evangelical Alliances.
28 Too Many
28 Too Many is a values based charity funded by supporters and donations, created to help eradicate Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in the twenty-eight countries within Africa where it is practiced, and the diaspora. There are three strands of work undertaken by 28 Too Many:
Production of country profiles detailing key data relating to the prevalence of FGM.
Facilitation of networks of organisations promoting the abandonment of FGM.
Advocating for the global eradication of FGM.
28 Too Many aims to reduce the incidence of FGM in 10 countries, by 10% in 10 years.The organisation was founded by Dr Ann-Marie Wilson in 2010. Reports completed: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone