"Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry; give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit. From you let my vindication come; let your eyes see the right.."
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Christian pastor assassinated in Dagestan, RUSSIA[i]
Compass Direct News Service report that Artur Suleimanov, 49, pastor of Hosanna Christian Church in Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan, Russia, was shot on the evening of 15th July 2010 while leaving his church building. Pastor Suleimanov’s church was known as the biggest Protestant church in the region, successfully reaching out to Muslims and comprised mostly by former Muslims. As an ethnic Avar, Suleimanov was considered by many Muslims to be an apostate and therefore deserving of death.
- Pastor Suleimanov is survived by his wife, Zina, and five children. Pray for God’s comfort and protection over the grieving family.
- Pray that the Lord will encourage and strengthen believers from Hosanna Christian Church in spite of the fear and the pain after their pastor’s assassination.
- Pray for protection over the Church in Dagestan, and pray that the Christians will not be intimidated by this act of violence.
Christian in solitary confinement in IRAN[ii]
Ali Golchin, 29, was arrested in his hometown of Varamin on 29th April 2010 and held in solitary confinement in Tehran's Evin prison since then. No charges have been filed against him by the Iranian authorities yet and services of a lawyer has not been made available to him . Farsi Christian News Network sources have reported that Ali's wife has been warned not to attend church and told that she will only be able to negotiate with the authorities about Ali's release if she converts to Islam. Ali’s father was finally allowed to see his son for 10 minutes on 17th June 2010 . Ali’s health situation is reported to be critical, as sources believe Ali has been ill treated during interrogation sessions.
- Pray that the Lord might sustain and give strength to Ali while he is in prison, as well as for faith and encouragement for his family members.
- Pray for Ali's release from Evin prison.
- Pray for change in the political and judicial system in Iran.
Continuous attacks against Christian in NIGERIA[iii]
Christian Solidarity Worldwide, UK reports about renewed latest violence in Jos North, Nigeria, where on 16th July 2010 Mazah village came under attack by armed Fulani Muslims, leaving at least eight people dead, including children, many injured and homes burnt to the ground. It is further reported that the attackers targeted key members of the community, the village head and a pastor. Although security forces were called and arrived in time, they did nothing to prevent the violence. Plateau State is reported to be tensed following the burial of the victims. Christians have continued to come under attack in 2010 as tensions and violence continue in Jos, northern Nigeria. Outbursts of violence against Christians in Nigeria in July 2010 were reported by other sources as well.
- Pray that God will comfort those who are suffering and mourning after the loss of their close ones.
- Pray against further violence and unrest in Nigeria.
- Pray that the Lord will give wisdom to local authorities in Nigeria to deal with the violence and the unrest in the country.
- Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, http://www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/ .
- Keep in your prayer also the upcoming events and activities of the WEA globally, regionally and nationally, posted at http://www.worldevangelicals.org/newsletter/Aug1_2010.htm
[i] Source: Comas Direct News Service, available at http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/Dagestan1/23303
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.