the God who girded me with strength, and made my way safe.”
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Persecution during the Holidays
The first Jubilee Campaign release for 2011 alarms that while the passed holiday season has been peaceful and joyful time for most of us, during these holiday weeks many Christians around the world experienced intensified persecution by Muslim extremists.
Jubilee reports that in Nigeria a Christmas Eve bomb killed at least 32 Christians and left another 70+ wounded. Local Muslims also attacked three other churches, burning one to the ground and leaving six Christians dead.
Another bomb set by Muslim separatists in a southern province of the Philippines was less deadly, wounding 11 and killing no one.
Pakistan saw its first female suicide bomber kill 47 refugees and leave another 100 people in the hospital.
In Iraq attacks specifically targeted at Christians destroyed ten homes, leaving at least a dozen injured and two Christians dead.
The Muslim government of Iran arrested at least 25 Christian men and women for 'apostasy,' and the Taliban in Afghanistan mounted fierce attacks throughout the holidays.
Finally just past midnight on New Year's Eve, a bomb attack in Egypt killed 21 Christians and injured approximately 100 more as they left the Church of Two Saints in Alexandria.
* Pray against the growing persecution from Muslim extremists, especially in the Middle East and Africa.
* Pray for the persecuted Christians in Nigeria, Philippines, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran and Egypt.
* Pray for advancing the Kingdom of God in the dark and troubled places.
Obstacle to worship in Indonesia
Compass Direct News Service reports that Government officials in West Java Province, Indonesia, blocked the Indonesian Christian Church in Bogor’s Taman Yasmin area from worshipping on December 26th and Islamic groups pressured authorities to seize the property of another during the Christmas season.
Demonstration against the Christmas service of the Indonesian Christian Church were carried out on 25th December 2010 th, but police was able to restrain the demonstrators. But the Bogor municipality requested that the GKI cancel Sunday morning worship scheduled for 26th December 2010 . Beside their refusal, members of the congregation were not permitted to enter the church premises on the next day. The spokesman of the Indonesian Christian Church said that “discrimination is becoming systemic and spreading, yet it is ignored by the nation in many places.”
* Pray for a change in the system of discrimination against Christian in Indonesia.
* Pray that the Church in Indonesia might be strengthened by the challenges they face.
* Pray that justice and religious freedom should be established in the country.
Mass arrests of Christians in Sudan
Reports inform us that on 2nd January 2011 Eritrean officials arrested 30 Christians, members of the Philadelphia Church, for praying at a private house in Asmara, the capital. The Philadelphia Church is an evangelical church outlawed in Eritrea, as several other churches, forced to go underground in Eritrea since 2002, when officials required all religious groups to register.
Sources report that “currently, more than 3,000 Eritreans have been detained for their faith in Christ. Most are kept in underground dungeons, metal shipping containers and military barracks. Several Christians have died while imprisoned due to torture and lack of medical attention.”
* Pray for all believers in Eritrea, ecially those suffering in prison.
* Pray for genuine religious freedom in the nation.
* Pray that churches in Eritrea would go stronger even under the oppressive regulations.
~ Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, http://www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/ .
~ Keep in your prayer also the upcoming events and activities of the WEA globally, regionally and nationally, posted at http://www.worldevangelicals.org/newsletter/july08.htm
 Source: Jubilee Campaign-USA, January 4, 2011 edition, available at: http://www.jubileecampaign.org
 Source: Comas Direct News Service, available at: http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/indonesia/31183
 Source: The Voice of the Martyrs, Canada, available at: http://www.persecution.net/pnp.htm#1101134
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.