February 1, 2011
“You have given me the shield of your salvation,
and your right hand has supported me;
your help has made me great.”
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Christian mother slaughtered for her faith in SOMALIA
Compass Direct News Service reports that Asha Mberwa, 36, a mother of four, was killed for her Christian faith on 7th January 2011 on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia by Islamic extremists from al Shabaab militia. Asha’s husband has fled to an unknown location and according to relatives a “good Samaritan” in Mogadishu is caring for her four children. Asha was arrested after Al Shabaab extremists monitored a conversation she had with a relative, confirming she was Christian.
Al Shabaab insurgents, who control much of southern and central Somalia, seek to impose a strict version of Sharia (Islamic law) and have been designated a terrorist organization by several western governments.
* Pray for God’s protection over Asha’s four children and her husband, who have survived her. Pray for Asha’s relatives in Mogadishu, whose lives are also under threat.
* Pray for the persecuted Christians in southern and central Somalia.
* Pray God to protect His people from the attacks of Al Shabaab extremists.
Pastor released from prison in Uzbekistan
Voice of the Martyrs reports that the Uzbek Pastor Dmitry Shestakov, the pastor of the officially registered Full Gospel Church, was released from prison on 21st January 2011. Pastor Shestakov had been serving a four-year, work camp sentence after being accused of "incitement of national, racial and religious enmity" under Article 156 of Uzbekistan's penal code. According to VOM no official church representatives went to to greet him in front of the prison when he was released other than the two courageous elders from the Andijan Church.
* Praise God for the release of Pastor Dmitry Shestakov.
* Pray for Pastor Shestakov’s smooth reintegration into normal life, as well as for his faithfulness and suffering for Christ to be strong encouragement for other Christians around him.
* Pray that Christians in Uzbekistan should stand firm and courageous in the face of persecution.
Persecution against Christians continues in IRAN
The Jubilee Campaign release for 21st January 2011t alarms about the report of Elam Ministries that 33 Christians still remain in prison in Iran, where the holiday arrests have only brought to light the serious trend of persecution in the country against the Christian church. According to Elam Ministries at least 202 Christians have been arbitrarily arrested in 24 cities in Iran since June 2010 and 33 remain still in prison today. Elam Ministry have compiled an accurate report detailing the known cases of persecution over the last six months, as well as recordings of government officials publicly speaking out against Christians. The report is accessible at: http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1000817942364-212/Recent+arrests+in+Iran+-+briefing+document+final.pdf
* Pray for all believers in Iran, who are still in prison.
* Pray for religious freedom in the nation.
* Pray that persecution of Christians in Iran will result in greater growth of the church.
Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website,
Keep in your prayer also the upcoming events and activities of the WEA globally, regionally and nationally, posted at
 Source: The Voice of the Martyrs, Canada, available at: http://www.persecution.net/pnp.htm#1101271
 Source: Jubilee Campaign-USA, January 4, 2011 edition, available at: http://www.jubileecampaign.org
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.