“Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your
steadfast love, for they have been from of old.”
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Continuous attacks against Christians in EGYPT[i]
Compass Direct News Service (CDNS) reports about the increasingly vulnerable situation of Christians in Egypt as the chaos in the country and the whole region of North Africa grows. On the 7th of May members of a conservative Muslim movement “Salifis” attacked two churches and surrounding Christian-owned homes and businesses in Imbaba, one of the least deprived districts in Cairo. At least 12 people were killed and more than 200 were wounded in the attacks against the Virgin Mary and St. Mina Churches. The attacks started after a false rumor spread that a Coptic woman who allegedly converted to Islam was being held in St. Mina church against her will. CDNS reports that the described attacks were most serious of a string of attacks and threats made by “Salafis” against Coptic Christians since the fall of the Hosni Mubarak regime earlier this year. According to some Copts this movement is trying to incite violence between the Muslim majority and the Coptic minority, which is 7 to 10 percent of Egypt’s population of 83 million.
* Pray that the chaos in Egypt would subside and that the region would be under the control of God.
* Pray for the protection of Coptic Christians as well as the whole Christian minority in the country.
* Pray for adequate measures on part of the governmental officials against all kind of violence against Christians in Egypt.
Christians arrested for proselytizing and blasphemy in ALGERIA[ii]
Voice of the Martyrs, Canada (VOM) reports that on the 14th of April two Christian men were arrested in Oran, Algeria for sharing the Christian faith with their neighbours on charges of proselytizing and blasphemy. If the law introduced in 2006 - requiring religious services to obtain a government permit to worship - would be applied in their case, it may result in a five-year imprisonment and a fine of 100,000 Algerian dinars ($1,337 CAD). Krimo, one of the two arrested, was known to hold weekly prayer services at his home. According to the VOM the court hearing, initially scheduled for April 27, was postponed to a later date.
* Pray that authorities in Algeria would promote just and fair legislation, respecting freedom of religion in the country.
* Pray for positive outcome in the coming court cases of the two accused brothers in Algeria.
* Pray for strength and steadfastness in Christians in Algeria.
Armed attacks against Christians in COLOMBIA[iii]
According to the latest news of Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) there have been serial deadly attacks on Christians in Colombia. On May 2nd Pastor Gualberto Nieves and a fourteen-year-old girl were assassinated by the FARC Colombian guerrillas (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) after the guerrillas attacked a rural home of some members of Pastor Gualberto’s Seventh Day Adventist Church in Arauca. CSW reports that “Illegal armed groups including the FARC guerrillas make these attacks frequently, targeting pastors and Christians, forcing them to stop preaching, harassing them, disappearing them and murdering them.”
* Pray that the grieving wife and daughter of Pastor Gualberto, the family of the slain girl and the entire congregation of the Church would find refuge in the strength and comfort of our God.
* Pray for Christians in Columbia, facing constant threat of persecution.
* Pray for special protection over Columbian pastors, who are specifically targeted by the arm groups. The CSW report states that between 25 and 30 Colombian pastors are murdered by armed groups every year, with more than 300 pastors killed since 2000.
Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, http://www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/ .
[i] Source: Compass Direct News Service, available at: http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/egypt/article_112197.html
[ii] Source: Voice of the Martyrs, Canada, available at: http://www.persecution.net/arch2.htm
[iii] Source: Christian Solidarity Worldwide, available at: http://dynamic.csw.org.uk/article.asp?t=news&id=1005&search=
Get The Latest Updates
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.