"In my distress I called upon the Lord;
to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears. "
~ World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Persecution of Christians in BANGLADESH [i]
Compass Direct News Service reports that Muslim neighbours of the Christian family of Foyez Uddin, 62 in Bangladesh, in Joysen village in Rangpur district north of Dhaka, insulted, beated them and filed a false charge of attempted murder against them and other Christians on 17th September 2010. Uddin’s neighbour Nazrul Islam, who is a policeman, told Uddin, his wife and his two adult children that as Christians they were “polluting society by deviating from Islam.” The angry neighbours broke into Uddin’s home, which serves as a worship venue, burned two Bibles, tore two others, ripped four hymnals and damaged some furniture and chairs.
The villagers also hacked with a machete the sign board of their house church ‘Faith Bible Church of God’. The pastor of the church told Compass that he went to a nearby police station to complain about the attack, but officers did not respond. Uddin’s family were to be baptized during the last week of September, but because of still being in custody due to the false charges they could not be baptized.
Compass Direct News Service additionally reports that since Uddin became a Christian in 2007, some of his neighbours have threatened to kill him or expel him from the village. One of the main tactics used by the Muslim villagers who opposed to Christians in the area also is to withhold work from them.
- Pray for Uddin, for the outcome of the current charges against him and for all his family, undergoing persecution.
- Pray for Faith Bible Church of God in Joysen village and for the whole Christian comunity there.
- Pray for Christians in Bangladesh to stay strong, wise and equipped with courage and faith as a testimony for God in their country.
Pastor sentenced to death in IRAN [ii]
According to VOM Canada Pastor Youcef Nardarkhani, a leader in the Full Gospel "Church of Iran" network, has been sentenced to death for what is called a "thought crime" in Iran. The Pastor was arrested in October 2009 after protesting a decision by the government requiring that his son study the Qur'an. The pastor's trial was held in recent weeks in the court, but a formal verdict has not yet been delivered.
- Pray for Pastor Youcef Nardarkhani and his family, for endurance and faith.
- Pray for all Iranian Christians in custody, undergoing trials and tribulation, to stay strong and confident in the Word of God and His salvation.
- Pray for the officials in charge of the case of Pastor Youcef, that God will soften their hearths and lead them in doing justice.
Christian fined for having a Christian movie in UZBEKISTAN [iii]
Forum 18 News service spread the news that Uzbekistan has imposed a massive fine on a Protestant beliver Murat Jalalov for owning a Christian film after police raided his home. The film and other confiscated materials for analysis by the state Religious Affairs Committee was ordered to be destroyed. Forum 18 further reports separately that a man – not a religious believer – has been fined for refusing to reveal his son's whereabouts. The son is being hunted by police for his religious activity.
- Pray for the church in Uzbekistan.
- Pray for the case of Murat Jalalov and other Christians, restricted and sanctioned severely by the state for their faith.
- Pray for freedom of religion and righteous authorities in Uzbekistan.
~ Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/
~ Keep in your prayer also the upcoming events and activities of the WEA globally, regionally and nationally, posted at www.worldevangelicals.org/newsletter/july08.htm
[i] Source: Comas Direct News Service, available at: www.compassdirect.org/english/country/bangladesh/27653
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.