October 15, 2011
“Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war rise up against me,
yet I will be confident.”
* World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Massacre of Coptic Christians in EGYPT
On October 9 Christian protestors marching through Cairo were attacked by the army who shot into the crowd and rammed riot-control vehicles into protestors. The military attack left 26 dead and hundreds wounded and was described in media reports as “one of the worst acts of violence against Egyptian Christians in modern history”. The protests on October 9 came in response to a September 30 attack in Upper Egypt on the Mar Gerges Church building, which was burned down along with several Christian-owned homes and businesses in Elmarenab village in Aswan. The Mar Gerges burning was the third church in Egypt in seven months to be burned down by a mob. In the awake of the attacks leaders of the Coptic Orthodox Church have called for three days of fasting and prayer for divine intervention, along with three days of mourning.
- Pray for God’s comfort over family members mourning the loss of their loved ones
- Pray for Coptic Christians in Egypt who were once a majority but now make up only around 7 to 10 percent of the country’s 80 million people
- Pray for peace and religious tolerance to be restored in Egypt by God’s divine intervention.
Christian killed over land dispute in Pakistan
The Voice of the Martyrs Canada (VOM) reports that on October 5 Safdar Masih, a Pakistani Christian, was shot to death and a dozen others, including children, were injured over a land dispute between a feudal lord and Safdar's church in Mian Channu, Khanewal District, Pakistan. The church purchased land to build an orphanage, but their claim on the land was contested by an influential feudal lord. The murder of Safdar happened two days after church members filed a complaint with the police but were pressured to withdraw their petition.
- Pray that the Lord will comfort Safdar's family and friends.
- Pray that the orphanage will be built and that God will protect and provide for the orphaned children
- Pray for quick and adequate intervention in this case on part of the police and also for justice to be restored for Christians in Pakistan.
ü Additional prayer items are available at the WEA website, http://www.worldevangelicals.org/pray/ .
ü Please continue to pray for the preparations of International Day of Prayer for the persecuted church 2011 (IDOP 2011). Visit www.idop.org for more information.
 Source: Compass Direct News Service, available at: http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/egypt/article_121782.html
 Source: Voice of the martyrs Canada, available at: http://www.persecution.net/pnp.htm#3