Up and Speak Out with millions around the world on Oct. 17th!
Dear Micah Challenge Supporter:
On October 17, 2007 - The United Nations Day for the Eradication of Poverty - join millions around the world as they STAND UP and SPEAK OUT against poverty and for the Millennium Development Goals. STAND UP is an innovative and exciting challenge issued by the Global Call to Action Against Poverty and the United Nations Millennium Campaign.
Last year, 23.5 million people worldwide, including 49,000 Canadians, stood up against poverty in a 24 hour period, setting a Guinness World Record.
Show your support for the global fight against poverty and let world leaders know that we are holding them accountable for their promises to end poverty by 2015.
What qualifies as a STAND UP event?
A STAND UP event can be almost anything - a concert, prayer vigil, worship event. It can take place anywhere: at church, at work, in the streets, at the family dinner table, or in a classroom. The only requirement is that there must be a time when everyone reads a poverty pledge and STANDS UP for 1 minute to be counted for the Guinness World Record.
How do I get involved?
There are several ways that you can be part of STAND UP and SPEAK OUT:
- Organize your own STAND UP and SPEAK OUT event. Fill out your event details on our poster and hang it up in your church, local coffee shop, school campus, etc.
- Insert a STAND UP and SPEAK OUT moment into an existing event or gathering - a church service or Bible study, a workplace lunchroom, a classroom, conference, or a movie theatre. Distribute our informational bulletin inserts in your church service on Micah Sunday, Oct. 14th.
- SPEAK OUT by writing a letter to your Member of Parliament about your concerns. Use the letter we've created or write your own.
- Attend a STAND UP and SPEAK OUT Action organized by others in your community. To see what's happening across Canada click here.
- Register your Stand Up event and report your numbers after the event at www.standagainstpoverty.org/events/create
Thank you for your support.
National Coordinator, Micah Challenge Canada
The Micah Challenge is a global campaign that will raise a prophetic and powerful voice for and with the poor. It looks both inwards, to deepen Christian commitment to economically poor communities, and outwards, urging leaders of rich and poor nations to fulfill their public promise to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.