April 16, 2010
The Lausanne Global Conversation (www.lausanne.org/conversation) is focusing on important issues related to world missions and evangelization. Christians from more than 40 countries are sharing their perspectives and expertise on topics such as reaching children with the gospel, poverty, environment and working together in partnership to share Christ.
Ravi Jayakaran (India/U.S.) began one conversation on Poverty and Wealth (http://conversation.lausanne.org/home/poverty-and-wealth) with this reflection: "I realize that wealth and issues of wealth do also closely figure with issues of poverty, for it is often the relentless selfish pursuit of wealth that results in poverty for others." Mel (Phillipines) responded: "Poverty has become very relative, depending on the context and on the one experiencing it. It might be difficult to come out with a single definition of being 'poor' because of this...."
MJA (U.S.) commented: "Personally, I feel it would be useful to start examining some of the factors that create and maintain poverty, how they interact with each other, where the weakest links in the cycles are, and where the church of Jesus Christ in all its forms can plug in to the greatest effect. It takes a system to transform a system, and the Lausanne (M)ovement is an ideal nurturing environment for just such a response to begin to formulate a systemic response to poverty ..."
Add your voice to this conversation and others:
- Children: "Children? Look Again!" (Menchit Wong, Philippines)
- Diaspora: "The Flying Community" (Sadiri Joy Tira, Canada)
- Ethnicity and Identity: "Ethnicity and Identity" (Dewi Hughes, United Kingdom)
- Forming Leaders: "A Platform for Kingdom Success" (Sue Plumb Takamoto, Japan)
- The Human Future: "The Dignity of Human Kind" (Jennifer Lahl, United States)
- Orality: "Orality and Storytelling: Matters of the Heart" (Steve Evans, South Africa)
- Partnership Development: "Nurturing A Culture of Exchange" (Rev. David Hackett, United States)
- Poverty and Wealth: "Calling Gargoyles to Life" (Gregg Okesson, Kenya)
- Prosperity Gospel: "Introducing the Prosperity Gospel Debate" (Matthews Ojo, Nigeria)
- Scripture in Mission: "Major Priorities in Eradicating Bible Poverty" (Ntobha Mba, United States)
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.