Hajj Day 2 - November 5, 2011
Source: CRY OUT http://www.cryoutnow.org/
Sacred Act 2: Wuqoof (Standing at Arafat)
In the morning after prayers, the pilgrims proceed to the Plain of Arafat. It is believed that Muhammad delivered his final sermon from a hill above this plain during his last pilgrimage. Here, pilgrims perform the central ritual of the Hajj, the standing, or Wuqoof, to atone for sins.
The pilgrims face Mecca and pray from noon to sundown. These prayers are done in a prescribed way: they should remember God, ask for forgiveness and pray other Islamic prayers. Muslims believe that they leave this day cleansed of sin*, which also brings freedom from shame. Shame is a great burden to most Muslims. But with this act, they believe honor is restored.
As the sun sets, the people are not required to quote any prescribed prayers. During these sacred moments, pilgrims are to be alone with Allah. They should ask that their sins and lifelong shortcomings be forgiven. At sunset, a cannon sounds.
Pilgrims leave Mount Arafat going to Muzdalifah, where they sleep or stay up all night under the stars. On the way, they can pick up stones and pebbles for the next day's ritual. Many Muslims not on the Hajj fast on this day of wuqoof.
Key Scripture to Pray “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and all the people in your house.” Acts 16:31
- As the pilgrims head to Muzdalifah, may what happened to Paul in Romans 7:7-13 well up in them, that theirs sins would continue to overwhelm them. Pray for conviction of sin deep in their hearts and minds. Pray that God would reveal His heart - that He is grieved by our sin, but that He offers a way to receive His forgiveness. Jesus takes guilt and shame away which brings real freedom.
- Pray that God would reveal His heart of love for the people. He loves them so much. Pray that people will have encounters of God's love for them.
- Pray that God will speak to them in dreams and visions, as they spend the second night of the Hajj praying for their shortcomings and needs. Ask God for an open heaven for many who are genuinely seeking an encounter with God.
- At least five times a day, devout Muslims say these words, "Show us the straight way, the way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray." Pray that God will answer their prayer in such a way that they can grasp God's grace through Jesus Christ, that they will see He is the straight way.
What does the Bible say?
* The Bible talks about sins being cleansed by the blood of Jesus. Matthew 26:28, Acts 2:38, 1 John 1:7
Get The Latest Updates
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.