Welcome! We hope you will enjoy using these reflections with us!
Has the church in the west become the 'rich man' in Jesus' parable recorded in Luke 16?
In Reflections on the church and poverty, Rev Malcolm Duncan, from the
Please reflect on the parable of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16: 19-31.
'As we fight not just the symptoms but the causes of material, spiritual, civic, identity and aspirational poverty, we are doing what God has called us to do. As we work with people and stand alongside them we are following the example and model of Christ. The heart of Christian unity is the purpose of the practise and living out of the Good News to the poor – this is our mission.'
Let us pray:
- For a renewed commitment to fulfil our vision of living out the Good News.
- From 3-5 May, the extended leadership and stakeholders of the Global Call to Action Against Poverty (GCAP) meet in
Please pray for:
- clear decisions on campaign activities and policy calls for this year.
- Erika Izquierdo, from Micah Challenge in the Andean Region who represents Micah Challenge at this global platform; may she have wisdom and insight into the issues discussed and, if necessary, boldness to speak up from a Christian perspective.
- Please continue to pray for the final round of the French presidential elections on 6th May. Thierry Seewald, Coordinator of Micah Challenge in writes:
- We trust that God will lead everything and we pray that we will get a president who supports the spread of the gospel and the growing of God's kingdom.
- Please pray that this president will have a heart for the poor, especially for the poor in the global South and will be committed to make global trade fair and favouring the poor.
- Please look at statistic below: promises that were given in 2005 have not led to significant actions. Let us pray
- that at this year's G8 promises can be renewed and then turned into quick actions by the various governments.
- that in the various preparatory meetings in the run up to the G8 clear and doable proposals will be developed.
Meditate on the Statistics
As you spend time in prayer and reflection, you may like to take a moment to silently understand with your heart the focus statistic we include each week (see below). Our hope is that you will find this series of statistics a useful resource in preparing presentations.
Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development (trade/aid/debt)
Target 12: Develop further an open, rule-based, predictable, non-discriminatory trading and financial system
'Almost two years after the G8 group of leading industrial nations promised to boost development assistance by $50bn a year by 2010, the Africa Progress Panel headed by the former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan said rich countries were only 10% of the way to their target….Aid flows from the west fell for the first time in a decade in 2006.'
Yours in Christ,
Regine and Michael