EGYPT ELECTIONS - THE UNFINISHED REVOLUTION
Stage one in Egypt's first parliamentary elections since President Hosni Mubarak was driven from office will be held on November 28, 2011. The unrest in Egypt is being called "the unfinished revolution" and has many citizens worried about the future of the nation. Demonstrations against the government of Egypt forced President Hosni Mubarak to step down from office in February 2011. But after the military took over, protests continued.In November 2011, more civilians were killed as security forces attempted to maintain control. Christians Copts, the largest religious minority, are at special risk. Violence against them has been fierce and ongoing. More than two dozen were killed in October 2011.
"The latest wave of violence adds further pressure on the military junta," notes The Guardian, "ahead of this month's parliamentary elections, with opposition to the ruling generals seemingly beginning to spread beyond Cairo and Alexandria and into rural areas."
The first stage in parliamentary elections will take place on November 28. Stage two will be held December 14, with presidential elections scheduled for March 2012.
As one News source noted: "Unless the Islamists and liberals can find a way to coexist in Egyptian politics, Egypt risks falling into a new authoritarianism."
- The Lord to guide and direct this nation. Ask Him to raise up leaders who will govern with integrity and in the fear of the Lord. (Daniel 2:21)
- The elections to be fair. Pray for any ballot rigging schemes to be exposed and fail to influence the outcome. (Mark 4:22)
- Peace to be maintained. (II Corinthians 13:11)
- This time of uncertainty to be an open door for the Gospel. (I Corinthians 16:9)
- Christians in Egypt to be strong in the Lord and the power of His might. Ask the Lord to protect them and encourage them. (Ephesians 6:10)
- A great harvest of souls to come to the Lord from Egypt. Pray for the Kingdom of God to come to this nation with great power, signs, wonders, miracles, visions, and dreams. (I Corinthians 4:20; Acts 2:17)
For more prayer points visit: http://incontext.webs.com/prayforegypt.htm
Get The Latest Updates
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.