Since the breakdown of the Norwegian brokered cease fire between the Sri Lankan Government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), an ‘unofficial’ war rages on. While this return to armed hostilities has taken a huge toll on the civilian population, displacing thousands from their homes and killing hundreds, a trend of abductions, extortion and gruesome executions have intensified fear and suffering among civilians.
The head of the Special Commission on Disappearances Justice Tilakaratne in a recent media interview stated that 2,020 people have been abducted or disappeared in
The majority of the victims are from the minority Tamil community. The trend of abductions – many of which have taken place in
In a more recent high profile incident, two volunteer workers of the Sri Lanka Red Cross Society were abducted from the Fort railway station in the heart of
A media news report on the 18th of June 2007 highlighted 5 new cases of abductions. Among them was a 35 year old Christian man Manickam Johnson who was abducted in Wellawatte,
The family of Pastor Victor Emmanuel Yogarajan (51) are still awaiting news of his fate and the fate of his two sons (aged 20 and 22 years). They disappeared while travelling to
The international community and the UN have called for improvement of the human rights situation in
Please pray -
- Pray that the Government of Sri Lanka and the LTTE will return to the negotiation table and cease hostilities.
- Pray for those who have been abducted; for their safe return to their homes and loved one.
- Pray for the families of those who have disappeared as they struggle to cope with life daily, not knowing the whereabouts of their loved ones who were abducted.
- Pray for the families of those who have been killed: those who have been executed and those who have died on the battlefield.
- Pray for an end to violence; and end to war, gruesome killings and abductions.
- Pray for those who have been displaced from their homes, having lost everything they owned. Some have lost their families.
Subscribe To Our Newsletters
Choose from our various newsletters.