"So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
17 killed in attacks on Kenyan churches
July 2, On Sunday gunmen attacked 2 churches in Garissa, Kenya, killing at least 17 people and wounding 40 others. Reports say the attackers threw grenades and opened fire on worshippers.
The Somalia- based Islamic militant group al-Shabab is suspected to have carried out the attacks.
- Please pray for the families grieving the loss of loved ones as well as for those injured in the attacks.
Pastor assaulted, Christian homes attacked in INDIA
June 15, It is reported that a group of Hindu extremists attacked a pastor in the village of Mitrapur in Orissa when he was returning home from a prayer service. The pastor who was seriously injured in the attack was subsequently rescued by area Christians and taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Following the incident, a mob consisting of around 50 Hindu extremists attacked 12 Christian families, looting their homes and injuring 20 people.
Many members of the families who escaped the attacks have reportedly fled to jungles, hiding in fear of more violent attacks.
- Please pray that all violence against Christians in Orissa would cease
- Pray for the healing of the pastor and all other Christians injured in the attacks
- Pray that the authorities will realise the gravity of this incident and take necessary action to provide safety for all Christians in Orissa
- Pray that the attackers would experience a change of heart and come to know the love of Jesus
Church bombings continue, more than 50 killed in NIGERIA
June 18, For the 3rd consecutive Sunday Islamic extremists bombed churches in northern Nigeria, killing at least 50 people and injuring more than 130 others.
3 churches were targeted in the attacks which began at the EWCA Goodnews Wusasa Zaria church where a suicide bomber crashed in to the church killing at least 25 people.
Within minutes, another explosion occurred at Christ the King Catholic Church in Zaria, killing at least 10 people. Also another church was targeted in Kaduna which resulted in more than 10 casualties.
It is also reported that Christian youths in Zaria and Kaduna reacted violently, burning tires and blocking major roads.
The radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the attacks.
- Pray for the families grieving the loss of loved ones, that they would experience the comforting presence of Jesus
- Pray for the Church in Nigeria, that God will enable it to persevere under tribulation
- Pray that Christians would not retaliate with violence but entrust themselves to Him who judges justly
- Pray for the militants, that they would repent and cease all hostility towards Christians
Churches face threat of demolition in SUDAN
June 26, It is reported that St. John's Episcopal Church in the Hay Yousif district of Khartoum was demolished on 18 June by local government authorities. Most of the building's contents were also destroyed in the incident. Authorities stated that the church had no valid permit and hence it was demolished. However church officials said this was due to unjust delays made by the government in granting the permit. The St. John's church has been in existence since 1989.
Furthermore a number of Church-operated schools have been forced to close and threatened with demolition. The authorities claim that there is a reduced need for Christian-operated schools because many people of South Sudanese origin (many of them Christians) have left Sudan. Christian leaders believe that these schools continue to meet a clear need.
In another development, it is reported that all offices of the Sudan Council of Churches and Sudan Aid in Nyala were forced to close down.
- Pray that the government will allow all Church property to be used for its intended purposes
- Pray that Church leaders will know the Spirit's guidance and wisdom in this difficult time
- Pray that all Christians in Khartoum will know the peace, presence and protection of Jesus and His enabling to live without fear
- Pray that all officials involved will love mercy, act justly, learn about Jesus and choose to follow Him
– Middle East Concern
The World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.