"Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." Hebrews 13:3
Dear Friends in Christ,
The World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.
Falsely imprisoned Christians returns home to find house taken over, children missing in ETHIOPIA
May 17, A Christian man falsely accused and sentenced to 3 years' imprisonment for desecrating the Quran in Ethiopia has reportedly returned home to discover that his 2 children aged 6 and 15 were missing.
Tamirat Woldegorgis, a widower, was arrested in August 2010 when his business partner accused him of in scripting 'Jesus is Lord' on a cloth used in their business. He was then falsely accused of writing 'Jesus is Lord' in a copy of the Quran. It is reported that Muslims in the area also accused him of writing the same on a piece of wood, a minibus and then on a wall of a house.
Woldegorgis, sentenced to 3 years in prison on 18 November 2010, was released after he served less than 2 years of his sentence. On his release, Woldegorgis did not receive his official documents of identification nor a letter of release. This is further seen as a likely indication of official concern about the lack of evidence for his prison term.He was also paralyzed in one leg during his imprisonment in Jijiga.
In a media report Tamirat Woldegorgis said, "I have been trying to locate my children, but all in vain, my life is ruined – I have lost my house, my children, my health. I am now homeless, and I am limping."
- Pray for God's healing mercy to restore Tamirat Woldegorgis both physically and emotionally
- Pray that he would experience the comforting presence of Jesus Christ in this time of turmoil
- Pray that Tamirat Woldegorgis will be able to find his missing children and also regain his property and official documents
Islamic extremists attacks Christians in INDONESIA
Hkbp Filadelfia Protestant community
May 21, A mob of around 400 Islamic extremists attacked the prayer house of the Protestant Christian Batak Church in Bekasi, a suburb of Jakarta. The mob threw water, sewage, used oil, mud, rotten eggs, sticks and other blunt objects at the congregation.
The assault took place on 20 May, despite the presence of the police deployed to defend the Christian worship. The prayer house was also attacked on 17 May, where Islamic extremists hurled stones and bags full of urine at the worshippers.
In a media report, Rev. Palti H. Panjaitan Sth – head of the Protestant community Hkbp Filadelfia stated "What scares us most is that the number of police was so small compared to the angry mob, it is clear that they did not have the strength to repel the attackers and journalists. Activists and lawyers who fight in defence of human rights can do nothing either."
- Pray for the congregation of the Protestant Christian Batak Church in Bekasi, that God would strengthen them in their faith to withstand persecution and also continue to radiate grace to all those persecuting them
- Pray for the leadership of the Church that God would give them the wisdom to face the situation in a Christ like manner
- Pray for the persecutors that they will experience a change in heart and would cease all violence against Christians
Hindu extremists force Vocational Bible Study to be cancelled in INDIA
May 21, A Vocational Bible Study conducted by Pastor V. Neethirajan from the Church of God Ministry in Banglawmedu was cancelled by state police on 30 April after Hindu extremists disrupted the meeting and ordered the Christians to stop forceful conversion.
According to reports, the extremists forced themselves into the VBS centre and manhandled those involved, ordering them to stop the meeting immediately.
It is also reported that, extremists, allegedly from the Baratha Janatha Party had hoisted their party flag aloft shouting, "Don't convert Hindus to Christianity, we won't allow it," and threatened to beat up the Christians if they continued the programme.
Subsequently the Pastor lodged a complaint on the incident at the local police station. Acting on the complaint, the police warned the extremists against their action and also ordered the Christians to cancel the VBS.
- Please pray that authorities would grant permission to re-start the VBS in Banglawmedu
- Pray for protection over the Pastor and all Christians involved in the VBS
- Please pray for the Hindu extremists who continuously harass Christians that God would change their hearts to cease all violence against HIS children
– EFI Persecution Watch
WEA Religious Liberty Commission